Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation ("ESS"), in accordance with its Basic Commitment and Standards of Conduct, engages in business activities that contribute to society, while endeavoring to earn the trust of all customers and meet the expectations of stakeholders.
ESS protects personal data obtained from its stakeholders in the course of business activities appropriately in accordance with the following Basic Policy, recognizing that personal data is an important asset of each stakeholder and also an important asset for ESS, leading to creation of new value.
1. Basic Policy
- ESS strictly observes the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and relevant laws, guidelines established by the government and other regulations. ESS has established the ESS Personal Data Protection Policy (the "Policy"), which ESS carefully implements and maintains, while striving to continuously improve the personal data protection management system.
- ESS has established a management framework to protect personal data assigning a person in charge at each relevant division and ensures that all officers and employees recognize the importance of the Policy and comply with it.
- ESS utilizes personal data within the scope of the intended use that is clearly communicated to customers, and takes measures not to use it beyond the scope. ESS does not disclose or provide personal data provided by customers to third parties except with the consent of the customer from whom the personal data was obtained or when there is a legitimate reason.
- While maintaining the accuracy and up-to-dateness of personal data, ESS strives to prevent unauthorized access to personal data or the leakage, loss, or damage of personal data and continually enhances and remediates information security management.
- ESS responds to inquiries from customers concerning personal data or requests from customers for disclosure of personal data sincerely and without delay.
Established: October 1, 2017
President & CEO
Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation
This Basic Policy applies to personal data held by Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation in Japan. Concerning the privacy policies of ESS's affiliates in Japan or overseas subsidiaries, please check with each company.
2. Intended Use of Personal Data
With respect to the intended use of personal data which ESS holds, please refer to the page of Intended Use of Personal Data.
The main business domains where ESS utilizes personal data are development, manufacture and sales of energy business products, systems and services. When ESS obtains personal data from customers on each product and service, ESS clearly indicates in advance the purpose for which the personal data is intended to be used. ESS uses the information within the scope of the stated purpose of use. When the need to use customer's personal data for any purpose that goes beyond the stated purpose of use arises, ESS notifies the customer to that effect and obtains the customer's consent before using the information for such purpose. ESS uses personal data which is contracted from other companies within the scope of the contract with the company.
3. Provision of Personal Data
- ESS does not disclose customers' personal data to third parties except in the following cases.
- 1）When the customer has given a prior consent to the disclosure
- 2）When complying with laws and regulations
- 3）When disclosure is necessary for the protection of human life, human health or property and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the customer
- 4）When ESS consigns the handling of personal data to a third party within the scope necessary to achieve the purpose of use
- 5）When another entity succeeds to the business of ESS due to a merger, corporate separation, transfer of business or otherwise
- When it is deemed that an inquiry from a customer concerning products, repairs, or service can be more appropriately dealt with by a ESS affiliate or distributor, ESS may provide the customer's name, address, telephone number and other information to the affiliate or distributor on the basis of consent of the customer.
4. Procedures for Requests for Disclosure
ESS complies with the following requests from customers concerning the customer's personal data held by ESS: 1) Request for disclosure; 2) Request for notification of intended use; 3) Request for correction; 4) Request for addition; 5) Request for deletion; and 6) Request for cessation of use or cessation of disclosure to third parties. Please refer to Procedures concerning Requests for Disclosure etc. by Documents for details of request procedures.
Please note that there is a fee charged for requests for disclosure and requests for notification of intended use.
5. Inquiries Concerning Personal Data
- For inquiries and complaints about customer’s personal data, please contact the ESS inquiry desk of each product or service in which personal data has been registered. (Inquiries to ESS)
- Inquiries about the Personal Data Protection Policy in general or the registration department of customer’s personal data should be directed to the page of Inquiries concerning Personal Data Protection at ESS.
ESS may record phone calls so as to accurately understand comments or requests from customers.
6. Request to Children under 16 years
When children under 16 years provide their personal data to ESS, they should provide them only after obtaining the consent of a parent or guardian.
7. Notice regarding websites of ESS
- Notice for Use of Services
Please note that some services provided by ESS (including services offered on websites operated by ESS) may not be available if the customer does not provide personal data.
- Encryption of Transmission
In case ESS receives personal data from customers, the website uses encryption technologies such as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) /TLS (Transport Layer Security) and the personal data of customers is protected. It may not be possible to access the page from browsers that do not support SSL/TLS or other technologies.
- Notes for Links
ESS disclaims any responsibility for the security of customers' personal data used on third parties' websites that are linked from the ESS website. Please confirm the privacy policies of the linked websites of third parties.
8. Information on important changes and notices
When important changes and notices on personal data arise, ESS will post them to Press Release & News.
From time to time ESS may revise the Personal Data Protection Policy to better protect customers' personal data and to comply with changes in the applicable laws and regulations.
Established: October 1, 2017
Chief Privacy Officer
General Manager, HR & Administration Div.